Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Week 5- Journal Assignment

How do issues such as authorship, copyright and open access impact your desire, ability and willingness to engage in produsage, both personally and professionally?
Currently, my produsage tasks, usage, and creation are a combination of both personal and professional. With that said, I try to conscious be aware of copyright issues to the point of paranoia. With my luck, the one time I publish an image that's not free use is the one time that a litigious lawyer who created that image visits whatever item I created.
The same could be said for authorship. Years of having anti-plagiarism propaganda presented to me, combined with who knows how many papers requiring proper citing, have instilled a sense of making sure that any information, images, sounds, etc. created or presented are either common use, creatively unique, or give due credit to the proper author or artist.
These issues do not affect how I work or whether I would complete a piece of produsage. It is a mentality that has become part of how I create, and only inhibits what I do if I am working with a limited issue. "Limited" in the example of creating a website for FSU students, by FSU students, but avoiding using certain FSU phrases and icons, even if it is known to be the rights of Florida State.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I think most of us who have years of higher education are quite particular about giving credit and not plagiarizing. I have also worked too hard on my own papers and such to be complacent about stealing any part of someone else's work.

    But I think that proving you have stolen an image would be very difficult since you would have to take a screenshot or something similar to prove it - and even those can be edited.

    I wonder if there will ever be a "Turnitin" for Websites?

    ReplyDelete