Sunday, July 19, 2009

Creation of a Web 2.0 Masterpiece

"Masterpiece" is probably a misnomer. More like a web 2.0 "thing." In either case, the creation process for my produsage assignment #1 did a lot to realize how web 2.0 is supposed to be created as well as how it is can be used. Eirin and I created a wiki that gives information on IS courses, as well as providing an area for contributions for course reviews from students, which was noted in my last blog as I'm sure my faithful reader(s) is/are aware of. We debated whether to create a wiki or a ning network, and I pushed for the wiki with the idea that the majority of the ning tools wouldn't be necessary or used, and that a wiki would work fine.
While this can be true, the more we linked pages, changed layouts to make them more intuitive, and added different sections and contributor areas, the more I realized having integrated discussion boards (more than on a per-page basis), pictures, chat rooms, blogs, etc. could enhance the experience of visitors and the kinds of information they are looking for. In addition to the course reviews and information, it could also include areas to share and discuss other aspects of life as an IS graduate student, such as study methods, recommendations for projects, or sharing and assisting with projects and surveys. If the information in our course review warehouse proves to not only be useful, but also used, then I intend to import the information into a Ning network, and work on these extra ideas.
So, support your local Course Review Warehouse!! I'm sure you don't have 3-dozen other classmates with web 2.0 projects to help contribute to. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Chris - It was great fun working with you to create this masterpiece/ thing. Would you consider integrating into the already existing Ning network for IS? Would this be as "easy" to do as building the Wiki itself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure! I know you can theoretically download entire wikis, but am not sure how yet, and not sure if it could be imported as easily into the Ning. We should totally look into it.

    ReplyDelete