Thursday, July 2, 2009

Week 1 Assignment

What have been your prior experiences with Web 2.0 technologies? Do you consider yourself a leader or follower in this realm, or something else altogether? Why? Also, discuss what you hope to get out of this class.

Well, I apparently have had some contact with Web 2.0, but wasn't aware of it. I have an account with Facebook and MySpace, and have blogs on Xanga and Blogger (...obviously). Use of various wikis and online worlds is also part of my experience. My use of these Web 2.0 applications (and those I cannot recall) are usually in a shallow fashion, and I could easily be called a lurker or a follower in the overall realm. While I have the skill set to make use of Web 2.0, I rarely feel interested in inclined to do so. The inherent result of Web 2.0 tools such as expansive publishing by anyone, about everything, for whoever has created a nice wall in my mind where I choose not to partake in many Web 2.0 tools, solely due to the annoyance of the preponderance of information, with twitter being a prime example. I have no need to share, no do I know of tweets by others that I wish to keep apprised of.
My use is similar to many others, wherein I enjoy observing, reading, and seeing a few varied tidbits that are associated with my friends and family. My actual participation is very limited, so much that I am guilty of not posting a "happy birthday!" on a friend's Facebook wall. Such a crime!
I hope this Web 2.0 class provides a good outline and direction for the acquiring and use of Web 2.0. In just the first couple of days I feel my hopes will be realized. My goal is to stuff as much Web 2.0 knowledge into my skull as possible, and combine it with my other educational and technological skills so that I will no longer be a stranger to this brave new world that is Web 2.0

No comments:

Post a Comment