Monday, August 24, 2009

Orientation

So, I'm starting this blog. A few days late, yes, but you never reminded to get started. So it is all your fault, slacker. I'm not even sure if I want a slacker reading my blog. You should probably think about your life and your priorities before judging me...

Where was I? Ah, yes... blaming you. But even before that, my Starting School Full Time Blog.

I quit work 3 weeks ago from my decent paying job that had decent perks and benefits. However, it was a dead-end position and I was literally be going nowhere until one of the owners died or they sold the business to a third party. My last official day was this past Friday, August 21st. Let the poverty and worries begin!

Orientation was the day before, for which I took a day off of work (why not? It’s not like I had anything better to do there…) There were the usual hodge-podge of other programs, instructors, and speakers. A veteran student did a Q&A after the staff left, which was actually pretty good. Onto the small group session, where I was marked as a Veteran Student there to just listen in. Good thing, because it 1) made the ego boost a bit and 2) gave me more standing. The orientation was over after that. A quick 3 hours or so.

One of the big reasons (as I may have mentioned in a previous post) for starting school full-time is to get integrated into the school and courses better. I want to actually get networked and socialized, meeting fellow students and getting to know instructors. This in itself is useful, as it is quite difficult to meet friends (although I do have friends and they are awesome, though I’m sure they owe me money). However, I need to break out of the shell.

An additional reasoning is so that I can become The Guy in the program. You know The Guy: He’s the one the teachers know, the one everyone (except maybe new students) knows and will asks questions to. Not necessarily the Big Man on Campus, but someone that is known for knowing stuff and who can be relied on, etc. This isn’t (completely) for my ego, but mostly so that when it comes time for a job, my name will be on the lips of instructors when good jobs offers come through.

I have never really been “networked,” so it’s a difficult thing. I get along with people well enough, but not so much that I maintain ties with them. Lots of acquaintances that are left by the wayside, so the speak, and I wanted to get networked for both personal and professional reasons. Getting networked will help the career too, of course, and I’m relying on my super awesomeness to have such an effect on the instructors that they can’t wait to find me the Best Job in the World (which includes all-you-can-eat Whoopers and various dancing girls)(edit: I meant Whoppers, but I'd take a bunch of Whoopers, too, probably).

I did pick up more information during Orientation, in conversations there, and the day or so after that. I will summarize those in the next posting. These blog postings, as I have said, will remain informal, so suck it if you have any issue with my syntaxes or sentence structures. Also, if you are reading this than you have a reason to, even if it’s just because you’re bored out of your skull. With that said, if something written here causes you to think or question, feel free to let me know. I do take requests, and pander to them.

A final note: I rarely proofread my postings. This isn't work, after all, and it's often humorous to leave mistakes as-is. Problem with that? I doubt it; if you read this far them you probably don't care. ;) Until next time, my loyal reader(s)

-cpk

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your "on campus" experience! I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to bribe your professors and students with candy Whoppers (or whatever).

    (So I'm a slacker, huh?)

    ReplyDelete